Friday, January 27, 2012

#5 A Passion of My Life

I find the subject of a person’s passion very intriguing. I love talking about the many things I am passionate about but I also enjoy listening to other people’s passions. My Favorite part is being able to hear that passion in their voice and seeing it in their eyes. Unfortunately we get neither in a blog post, maybe if we were expert writers… good thing we’re taking English then huh?
I have a lot of passions in my life so this will be hard to pick just one to write about. I’m passionate about Firefighting, about sports, snowboarding, camping, rock climbing. I have a passion for nature, for Italy and the language, music… so many.
As I think about that list I want to try and combine a few. I love rock climbing (outdoors mind you because indoors just isn’t the same) because, from and athletic perspective, it’s just you and the rock. Each route, each cliff is a whole new experience, a new puzzle. When you’re on the cliff there’s no worldly influence, there’s no noise except the wind. The wind as it rushes by the rocks, by you. The wind blowing through the trees, if there are trees where you’re climbing. Maybe the noise from a river or creek. The occasional word or two from a climbing companion but mostly, and the part I love the most, silence. So much silence that you are able to hear the littlest things. You start noticing the sound of your fingers clutching onto a hold or clipping a quickdraw. You start hearing the air pass in and out of your lungs. Your heart beat is now noticeable. The only feeling that settles in is peace.  In those moments when the whole world fades into memory and all you see, all you know is you and the rock… man, not to get too dramatic but I really get a little teary eyed thinking about it.
 I have climbed with some people where getting to the top is like beating that particular route or rock but I have never seen it like a competition. For me when I get to the top all I feel is appreciation for that opportunity to partake in the view of nature. When I don’t reach the top I almost feel like it’s one of those life lessons where all one can say is, “The time is not right. There is still much to learn.”
407

5 comments:

  1. I'll just put a little p.s. thing on here that I got a little teary eyed because I have never tried to describe in word or script why I love climbing. I still think I didnt do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in Price about half an hour from Joe's Valley and Triassic bouldering there are still some of my favorite memories. Trad climbing gives me anxiety haha, but I guess that's what makes it addicting, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that area! Great bouldering down there! I agree on the trad climbing. I always have a high pucker factor but that's what gets the adrenaline pumpin!

      Delete
  3. rock climbing scares me to death because I hate heights! I would love to get the courage to do it one day. I am also a big fan of sports, I love the Jazz and try to watch every game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. unfortunately basketball is low on my list of sport to watch. I have been to a lot of Jazz games over the years though. it's just not the same without Salone, Malone, Stockton, Russel, Keif, Hornasec (I could never spell his name right).

      Delete