Wednesday, April 4, 2012

#20 Public Speaking


            I have never had a huge problem with public speaking. Every time I have had to do it I have been nervous of course but I think that is normal. I think the last time I had to do any type of public speaking was in a firefighting class a few years ago and the group I was in did a presentation to the class about fire extinguishers. It was pretty easy because fire extinguishers are pretty straight forward and it was about something that I am passionate about, firefighting. I think public speaking can be made easier when it’s about something you really enjoy.
            I am not too familiar with all the different public speaking techniques. What helps me not get too nervous is being well prepared in knowing what I want to say. I have probably half of it written down as reminders of what I want to talk about but not all.  When I am listening to others speak I find it hard to stay interested when the speaker is just reading and not looking up much or putting much emotion in it. I like it to sound more like a conversation than a report or presentation. I also like being as me as possible. I’m goofy, tell jokes, make random side note comments, I talk with my hands… maybe from the time I spent in Italy. I feel that whatever your personality is you need to incorporate that into your public speaking. You are not there just to tell people stuff but also to let people get to know you. Whether it’s your opinion, the kind of research you did, why you think this thing, whatever it is, is important to know or understand. It’s all a window into who you are. 

300

1 comment:

  1. Good call on the monotone speaker, I like action in the talk.

    ReplyDelete