Tuesday, March 6, 2012

#12 A Book


               My father is a firefighter and it is also a profession that I would like to have so true firefighting stories have always gripped me. There was a book I read quite a few years ago that I had borrowed from my father and it has always stuck with me called “To Sleep with the Angels” by David Cowan and John Kuenster. The book is about the tragedy at the Catholic elementary school in Chicago named Our Lady of the Angels School. In December of 1958 a fire tore through the school taking the lives of 92 children and 3 nuns. Written as a narrative with firsthand accounts from children, nuns, firefighters, and people from the community with a bit of a detective feel this book was difficult to put down. One thing I really liked about this story is the many tales of ordinary men and women, just people you would see at the grocery store or working on cars, putting their safety and lives on the line to try and save those in the school. They are prime examples of true heroes, not like today where that title is thrown around far too liberally.
                I feel that everyone should read this book if for nothing else its tales of heroism. This tragedy also helped develop better fire codes for schools. Unfortunately sometimes it takes a tragedy to make people look more carefully at safety. I will admit that is was hard to read at some points with how descriptive some accounts were.  

254

No comments:

Post a Comment