Thursday, March 29, 2012

#18 A Hobby


            One of my many hobbies is rock climbing. I would love to spend more of my time doing it like I used to. In the post on passion I talked a bit about rock climbing but let’s see if I can expound some more on it.  Why do I choose rock climbing, well I consider myself an athlete so I enjoy the challenge of it both physically and mentally. It’s a challenge mentally for two different reasons. One because each climb is like a puzzle, it’s not painted out for you where the holds are. You have to find them in the sequence that works for you. The second reason is because you need mental endurance. You need to stay focused and determined to finish routes when you’re tired. The enjoyment of the physical challenge comes from the tiredness you feel in your arms at the end of the day. Barely being able to grab anything because your forearms are so worn out and being able to look back at what you were able to finish… what an awesome feeling.
            One of the most rewarding things about rock climbing for me is being able to stand, or hang, on top of a cliff or spire and behold the vast expanse of the world below. Knowing that I took the more challenging route, or in some cases only route, to that view. One of my favorite climbs I’ve done was in Moab, Utah. The climb was called Kor-Ingals on the Castleton Tower (one of those tall rock spires out in the desert). From the start of the climb it’s just over 400 feet to the top split up into four sections. The third of which being the most difficult because at the beginning the corner you’ve been climbing in separates and creates a 3 foot gap with no holds on either face. So for at least 20 feet you have to do what’s called a “lie back”. Grabbing the edge of the wall on the gap side you put your feet against the other wall spanning the gap and sort of walk your way up. It is a very tiring technique and I was so happy to reach the top of that section. Then when we reached the top I had a 360 degree view of the desert below and way off in the distance, snow capped mountains. So, so beautiful.

400

1 comment:

  1. Me and my family were into rock climbing while i was longer. Even though it's been years since I've done any climbing, it is still best best sport in my opinion. There are thousands of different places you can climb, and each is a new challenge to overcome.

    ReplyDelete