Sunday, March 25, 2012

#16 Stereotypes


                One of my favorite stereotypes is that women are bad drivers. Unfortunately it’s one that is proven right almost every day. Occasionally I am surprised by a woman that can drive competently and safely but not too often. I find myself a little on edge every time I get into a car with a girl not knowing how it’s going to work out. After a ride or two it’s easily discerned what kind of driver they are. I hear the arguments all the time that women are actually better drivers because they are better at multitasking, but is sitting behind the wheel really a good time to multitask? Way to often do I see women doing their makeup or doing their hair while driving. I know it takes them all but eternity to get ready for… well anything but honestly could they not do it behind the wheel? For all our sakes!  Now I know I’m probably going to catch a lot of crap for writing about this with comments that men are bad drivers as well which can be true. Men can be just as bad but that’s not the stereotype now is it?
                Are stereotypes ever warranted? That’s a tough one because stereotypes can often be construed as racism. For instance I have a friend that is a waiter and he hates serving Hispanics because they almost never tip and when they do it’s very little. So given his wages and that he has to tip out kitchen and bar staff he has the potential to lose money while at work. Now it may sound like a racist thing but my friend is not racist. Insurance companies use stereotypes all the time when calculating your rates.
                In my opinion stereotypes are ok and sometimes needed but when used out of anger or hate is where I draw the line.

311

1 comment:

  1. Oh you are a brave soul to write that about women drivers. Even if it is true, you might want to keep that comment inside your own head. Thanks for the witty writing.

    ReplyDelete